Saturday, December 7, 2019

Fun Fremont Fact

While doing some online shopping this morning, I did not notice until after the transaction was complete, that in my mailing address the state of New York was selected.  The zip code was correct.  My initial thought was, "well, there can't possibly be a Fremont, New York and they'll use the zip anyway." I knew of a Fremont, Nebraska, but none on the east coast.  But I thought I would check, being curious.  And wouldn't you know, there is a Fremont NY!  That guy really got around.

From http://fremontnewyork.us/

The town was named in the honor of General John C. Fremont.
He was among the few men who had helped organize the new town and was admired
by many. Fremont, NY became the eleventh municipality. Lands in the township
were the last to be rendered for settlement.

No comments:

Post a Comment